About the activity of Azerbaijan National Library in 2020
The National Library of Azerbaijan operates in accordance with decrees and orders of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev on culture, science, education, information technology and other relevant fields, state programs, decisions, instructions and tasks of the Cabinet of Ministers and the Ministry of Culture, as well as existing legislation. The National Library has implemented a number of important projects in connection with the development of science, education, culture, as well as promotion of our national and spiritual values, books and reading, and has achieved significant results in promoting the realities of Azerbaijan in the world. In accordance with the orders of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev on the celebration of the anniversaries of prominent personalities, the National Library has published a number of fundamental bibliographies titled "Muhammad Hadi", “Abdurrahim bey Hagverdiyev”, “Nariman Narimanov” from the series "Remarkable people of Azerbaijan" and prepared virtual exhibitions. In connection with the announcement of 2020 as the "Year of Volunteers", a permanent book corner "2020 is the Year of Volunteers" was established, and "Library and Volunteers - a place of new opportunities" methodical aids was published and sent to libraries.
In connection with the celebration of the 20th anniversary of Icheri Sheher's inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List, a virtual exhibition entitled “Icheri Sheher” was prepared. On the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Historic Victory in World War II 1945, a book titled "Azerbaijan National Library in the years of the Great Patriotic War, 1941-1945" (in Azerbaijani and Russian) and a 2-volume fundamental bibliography "Azerbaijan in the years of the Great Patriotic War" (Azerbaijani and Russian) was published, a methodical manual "The History of our Glorious Victory", a virtual exhibition "The History of our Glorious Victory - 75" and an electronic database "The Great Victory - 75" were prepared.
In accordance with the orders of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, the virtual exhibition "National Press - 145", "Ahmadiyya Jabrayilov - 100" virtual digest, "Ahmadiyya Jabrayilov – 100” electronic database, "Ahmadiyya Jabrayilov" virtual exhibition, "Hasan Seyidbeyli - 100” electronic database and “Hasan Seyidbeyli” virtual exhibition were prepared and presented to users online.
In order to prevent the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic that hit the world this year, events have been held online in our country since March. In this regard, the National Library has participated in the following online events held both domestically and on a global scale:
- International Online Library Forum on " Reading during the Quarantine: Libraries in a New Format" with the participation of National Library Directors from the CIS countries and a number of other foreign countries. The forum was attended by the Directors of the national libraries of Azerbaijan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Italy (Rome), Malaysia, France, China, Moldova, Bulgaria, Georgia and other countries.
- The National Library participated in the international video conference "Libraries as Witnesses of the Victory: Looking to the Future".
- Director of the National Library, Professor Karim Tahirov attended an online press conference on "Book Heritage and the development of international library cooperation" at the invitation of the National Library of Russia and the TACC news agency.
- The National Library took part in a video conference dedicated to the 175th anniversary of the prominent Kazakh poet and thinker Abay Kunanbayev, organized by TURKSOY International Organization. The book "Abay Kunanbayev" co-published by the Ministry of Culture, TURKSOY, the Embassy of Kazakhstan in Azerbaijan, the National Library of Azerbaijan and the State Pedagogical University was presented during the video conference.
- The National Library participated in a video conference on "Inter-library loan and electronic delivery of documents". The video conference was attended by the national libraries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and other leading libraries of the Russian Federation.
- Director of the National Library of Azerbaijan prof. Karim Tahirov attended the CENL online Annual Meeting, which brings together a total of 49 National Libraries from 45 countries. The conference was attended by directors of 33 CENL member National Libraries and representatives of other international organizations.
- The National Library took part in online XXIV General Meeting of the Library Assembly of Eurasia (LAE). The video conference was attended by the President of the Library Assembly Eurasia A.Visliy, Director of the National Library of Azerbaijan Professor K.Tahirov, Director General of the LAE M.Neryueva, directors of the national libraries of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Uzbekistan and others.
- The National Library participated in the Republican Virtual Scientific Conference on "Innovations in library-information activities and challenges of the new century".
Due to the closure of the library for readers during the pandemic, a new "Online Services" window has been created on the library's website to provide users with library-information services. "Bibliographic request", "Document ordering and electronic delivery", "Methodical service" and "Virtual exhibition" sections of the Online Services window are always active and are of great importance in meeting the electronic information needs of users. In the current year, 75,523 resources were sent to 62,850 users through the "Document ordering and electronic delivery" section.
During the special quarantine regime, 2,996,278 people used the “Online reading” button of the “Electronic catalog and electronic library” section of the National Library’s website, which has rich full-text electronic resources, during the year. In general, the number of visitors of the website (anl.az) in the corresponding period was 3,605,400 people.
The website of the National Library has been updated this year. A new domain name "millikitabxana.az" has been acquired. There have been a number of updates that were not on the old website. In particular, electronic libraries of dissertations and periodicals has been created and online reading of dissertations, newspapers and magazines has been provided.